Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 5 - Wait..Wait..I Can't Possibly Take Notes That Fast...


Grad Lecture #1 - Understanding and Manipulating Time: loved this lecture complete with how to plot your novel across a timeline or by scene speed.
Lecture #1 Coe Booth - Coe is hilarious.. from her getto humour to her back-handed power-pt slide comments. She gave fab advice on how to get through the first draft.

Grace Lin gave a very personal talk on how she got into writing and illustrating picture books, writing middle grade and novels. I was touched by her honesty and openness.

Picture Book Panel - a mad rush of 4 short lectures on pb topics.

Faculty Readings: Always Entertaining! Alan Cumyn, Sharon Darrow, Mary Quattlebaum

Everyone is a twitter because students will be assigned an advisor tonight at midnight!! I already know my advisor is Julie Larios (yay! Funny, unbelievably creative, and an amazing poet)

Here's to you, Julie:
J ubillant,
U are,
L augh with your eyes.
I am ready to play,
E ase into essay.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie: I have just read the postings for the first five days of your residency. Blogging about your experience truly allows others to get a strong sense of the pace and content of what the program covers onsite. Plus as a children's poet, I find it most thrilling that you have Julie Larios as an advisor. I look forward to reading the upcoming postings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the posts are informative! I'm getting to bed soooo late trying to keep you guys updated! Julie is great!!

    ReplyDelete